The Natural History Student Award
We are delighted to announce our Natural History Student Award. This award honors one exceptional applicant who employs natural history knowledge to further their ecological studies. The awards committee will be looking at presentations and posters that demonstrate the best use of natural history knowledge in their ecological studies and/or novel natural history findings discovered in the context of their ecological studies. The recipient will receive a cash prize of $300. This award is supported by our annual silent book auctions (thanks to all who participated). Please support this year’s auction so we can keep these awards going!
Eligibility for Student Research Awards:
This prize will be awarded to a current student researcher in recognition of an outstanding ESA presentation or poster that demonstrate the best use of natural history knowledge in their ecological studies and/or novel natural history findings discovered in the context of their ecological studies. Applicants must be current members of the Natural History Section at the time of the talk. (To join, go to: www.esa.org/member_services/joinrenew.php and be sure to select the Natural History Section and Student Section as part of the process). Applicants must be the first author of the poster or presentation. Applicants can be self-nominated, or nominated by someone else. We will publicize the posters and presentations (short bio, title, abstract, where and when), of all applicants on our website, twitter, and at our Natural History Section Booth. Applications will be reviewed by the Awards Committee appointed by the Officers of the Natural History Section. Candidates will be judged based upon the presentation (oral and visual), incorporation of natural history observations or data, originality, study design, and anticipated impact of the research.
Application packets should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
1. Nominee: Students name, phone, email, and school and degree status at the time of the presentation or poster.
2. Title and Abstract: Submitted title and abstract of ESA oral presentation or poster.
3. Twitter line: A 130-character statement summarizing the presented study (to be used for twitter)
4. Sketch: A 100 word biographical sketch for ESA Natural History Section website and booth.
5. Photo: Two photos: one that depicts the practice of studying natural history in applicant’s ecological study (to be used for twitter, website and booth), and one of the author, or one photo if it satisfies both of the above.
Items 1 through 4 should be included in the body of the text. Item 5 (the photo) should be attached to the e-mail, as a JPEG files.
DEADLINE: July 1, 2016
Applications should be submitted electronically (photos as attachments, all text embedded in the body of the e-mail). Send e-mail to the Natural History Section’s (email@example.com), with the subject line “Natural History Student Award”.